06 May 2012

What a stitch-up!

Hey all!

Hope ye are all keeping well. Today I have for you something that is really special to me but you have all probably seen before : P But i'll show ye it anyway! This is the first piece of nail art that I ever did!EVER! this was done way back in November 2011. I had zero nail art supplies to do this! Nothing!
I got followed the tutorial from kayla shevonne's blog using the colours that I had readily available.

 Now remember this was my first ever attempt at nail art! I know it's fairly shoddy looking but I gave it a go and I am quiet proud of it now! I spent hours at this trying to perfect some of the lines. I only had a lip gloss brush that you get in those make-up palettes so the lines are quiet wavy : P  I followed the same colour scheme as Kayla mainly because they were the only colours I had and they went well together. I actually had to buy a yellow nail polish to complete this which shows you how lacking my nail varnish collection was at this stage!
 The polishes I used for this manicure were No7 white (base colour) Catrice Clue Cara ciao (Blue), Catrice Jade is not my name (the mint green) Collection Hot looks lemon fizz (yellow) and Stargazer 129(black).  Jade is not my name is one of my favourite polishes ever. Such a gorgeous minty colour. I have swatches of it on its own but I think I will re-swatch them and post them up for ye.








All of these polishes were perfect to apply with the exception of Lemon fizz. This polish is part of a "rapid dry" collection and they really mean rapid! The polishes was practically dry before I even had time to spread it out making it go on unevenly. It also had this weird stringy texture. Everytime I lift the brush off of the nail a string of polish, like thread, would some with it and go on the nail. It really bugged me and I had to repaint several areas to cover it. Other than that the whole thing cane together quiet nicely! I received soooo many compliments on this design which was actually a first for me so I was delighted : )
 I did this manicure at night so that should explain all of the photo's taken indoors under unnatural lighting. It looks quite bumpy in some pictures but in real life you couldn't really tell to be honest.  I wore this manicure for a week after and experienced minimal tip wear and only a slight bit of chipping ( I was a bit rough on my nails that week). I'm still  in essay mode right now and I keep going for ctrl + S to save the blog haha.




 The one thing that I regret doing was putting on  topcoat so soon after painting my nails. At the time I didn't know that it would drag the polish, especially the black, and make it go all streaky. At least I learnt a lesson from it all right? Nope! I did it again on another manicure and I was baffled! I had to google it and see what the problem was.


The thumb was my favourite! It was also the starting point of this manicure so it came out pretty good. Another newbie mistake I made was, after doing the outline on all of the nails, I painted one nail at a time instead of doing say the blue on all of the nails and then moving on to the next colour.  This is how excited I was!! I speant hours on it and I though I was on the ball haha thank god for bloggers. Their knowledge saved me so much time and money : P











 I think overall it came together fairly well. I love the colours in it and the pattern itself is so easy to recreate! Now for a fun fact:this was not  the first nail art manicure I actually wanted to try! For the Special occasion I had actually picked out the Rainbow dotted manicure design that you see in my blog profile image. I had ordered the dotting tools around 2 weeks beforehand to give myself time to practice. The night rolled around and the dotting tools still hadn't arrived so I had to go and look for another special design! I would have been so disappointed if I had just gone with plain nails. I was really looking forward to doing something special with my nail varnishes






This is my right hand.....look at how shockingly pudgy the lines are! I had to share this with ye! I still laugh when I see it. I have no idea how I managed to mess it up so much : P There was 2 coats of each colour and come touch up of the weird looking parts.











That's all for today! I hope ye liked this post. I was actually inspired to post it by another blogger, the lovely Painting Rainbows. If ye haven't seen her blog seriously check it out here!! For one of her giveaways she asked What your best nail polish memory was and this was mine!

Have any of ye re-created this manicure? Would ye like to try it now? Any questions or maybe requests to do nail art (I know this is unlikely but I like to give ye options haha) than please leave them in the comments below or email/tweet me. If you click on the suggestions page up above there is a little form there that you can fill out if you don't want to email me directly. Would ye like to see more nail art on my blog?  Let me know!

Cuti-CLUE-les

30 comments:

  1. I think it looks great, especially for a first time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I bought nail art pens right after so I'll have to try it again soon : )

      Delete
  2. I agree, it look really good for a first attempt @ nail art! And it's such a cute design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I'm definitely going to try this out sometime! And I definitely think you should post nail art, if that's what you would like to do =] I'm still trying to get out of my comfort zone when doing my nails, baby steps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I know what you mean! I'm sure you'll be great at it when you give it a go : )

      Delete
  4. I think you did very well with this nail art. I'm not tempted to try this out - I think my nails are too small for that kind of art. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is so hard to do on short nails so I don't blame you at all.

      Delete
  5. I think it looks fabulous, and you'd never think this was a first attempt! It reminds me a little of Sally in the Nightmare Before Christmas, might try this with darker colours for a Sally look :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Oh you should definitely try it with darker colours.

      Delete
  6. you did REALLY well, i still can't do patchwork lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you! I'm sure you'll get the hang of it! I can't do a gradient for the life of me : P

      Delete
  7. Can't believe this was your first attempt! They look fantastic. Really Tim Burton-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks soo awesome!!! can't believe it's your first time!!!! you go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing hun! Never would have thought it was a first attempt! Can't wait to see how much you have progressed :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude-congrats on winning rainbowify me's giveaway! Make sure you email her!!!! This mani is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!I'm still in shock! My first ever win! and she was my 50th follower...how cool is that?
      I emailed her don't worry :P thanks for reminding me though :) x

      Delete
  11. I love these nails, they're so good looking! Remind me of a nightmare before christmas! Sally with her patch work dress :) Brilliant first nail art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd love to try it with similar colours to Sally :P

      Delete
  12. This is gorgeous! And amazing for your first attempt! Love looking back at memories! I must try & recreate this if you don't mind hehe :)
    Iv also given you some awards - please check them out :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh go for it :) It's always fun to see other people doing nail art.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  13. This is fantastic!!! Not shoddy at all! :D Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete

Please be polite and email me with your blog links if you want me to check them out.,do not post your blog site in your comment. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Cuti-CLUE-les