13 September 2012

Wrap it up


Hey all! 

I've had the Zeb-wraps nail wraps from Nouvella nails for a while now but I took soooo many pictures that it took ages to get around to editing them :P I have a little tutorial too because they are a bit hard to get right.


First up you have to pick the nail wrap that matches the size of your nails. The only wrap that fit my nail perfectly was the pinky finger. I had to cut the rest to get them to suit around the cuticle and sides of my nails perfectly.



So I got a piece of paper ( I used an old receipt because the paper is fairly flexible and it's eco-friendly to re-use them instead of throwing them in the fire) I wrapped it around my nail and used a ball point pen to trace around my nail to get an idea of the shape. I cut out the tracing and double checked it with my actual nail. It's always fairly accurate so you should get a decent result at the end :)


All you have to do then is stick your tracing onto the nail wrap with a bit of scotch tape. I try to keep it as close to the curve as possible so it sits really smoothly against the cuticle. When you are happy with it just cut the shape out with a scissors. 


Now the weird part! You have to heat up the nail wrap with your hairdryer first and then fairly quickly place it on your nail and smooth it on. Don't worry if it creases because you can lift it up again, re-heat it with the hairdryer and then smooth it down again :) Be carful with the heat setting though. Only leave it on for a couple of seconds. That sucker will burn your cuticles!!


Then all you have to do it file off the excess wrap with a nail file! Do this in a downward motion so you get a nice clean, crisp line and it doesn't look like you have tip wear already. That's it! Now for the review ;)

Nouvella nail wraps are actually the first wraps that I have ever tried out. Unfortunatly I couldn't pick the design to review. I hate this design. It looks ok in the pictures but it's not something I would choose to wear. I haven't done a few accent nails using the wraps that were too big for my nails so I'l be posting them up soon enough.  The process of applying them is fairly long I have to say. It took me well over an hour to do one hand. It's a pain but it does guarantee a fairly clean looking manicure. I'm also lucky I did these when my nails were fairly short. Far easier to control the nail wrap when you are working with your non-dominant hand ;) Also ignore the weird angle of my middle nail. The design makes the nail look wonky.

Now wear time varied greatly. I used these for 3 accent nail manicures and they lasted well. They stayed on until I decided to change my manicure which is great. They did however feel a bit sharp towards the tips. I smoothed them down with a file and used a topcoat but the same thing happened again. I think this is the nail wrap version of tip wear :P It's annoying because if you are a picker, you will dig and scratch and pull at sharp bits until the whole wrap has come off. Making that hour you spent putting them on a complete waste. I didn't use a topcoat on this manicure and had to go for a shower. Bad idea! one attatched itself to my hair and it hurt a lot! The others fell off one by one in the time it took for me to get out of the shower and grab a towel.

All in all I wasn't really thirlled with the Nouvella nail wraps. I didn't like the design at all and the longevity of the wraps without a topcoat is a big disappointment. Would my opinion change if I had tried a different design? I doubt it unless the formula was different on it. These wraps are on sale at the moment so if you want to check them out here is the link Nouvella Nails website

Let me know what ye think! The sally hansen lace it up nail strips are in Penny's at the moment so I might pick  one up....

Cuti-CLUE-les






14 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I don't think I've ever put so much effort into putting nail wraps on haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I didn't think they would need so much effort!

      Delete
  2. Great review. Loved the honesty:) I'm kind of a hater of nail wraps most of the time. Only 1 set I've tried have stayed on and not creased over time or lifted. You can get some great designs but if they only last for a day before you get annoyed with them then there's no point spending the money on them so I just stick to my nail art;) - Jenny, Two Crafty Unicorns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honestly thinking the same. I have to say I was so excited about the Sally hansen ones just because you;d never expect to see them in pennys of all places, I always thought they would be great for a special occasion but then again I'd like to do a manicure myself that I'd always associate with that occasion. It's a conundrum :P

      Delete
  3. I've only used cheap Hong Kong wraps once but they drove me absolutely bananas, had them picked off within 5 mintues. I don't see the point of wraps to be honest, there are so many nail polishes that dry really quickly and loads of one-coaters. I love my polish too much! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. plus for the same price you could buy at least 2-3 essence polishes and get well over 100 manicures for the same price! They are great for people who just want nail art as a once off :) x

      Delete
  4. Never tried this!!! It's seems difficult, but it still looks fabulous on y our nails. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awh thank you :D that's really sweet!! It was fairly awkward to be honest and the hairdryer kept scorching my cuticles :(

      Delete
  5. These look great, prefer this type to the hard fake nails with designs on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree! These has more of a chance of looking natural on your nails. Those plastic ones generally look awful and are far worse for your nails x

      Delete
  6. Awesome tutorial, but it's a lot of work to put them on! I probably would use them for accent nails, like you mentioned :) I don't know why, but I don't trust nail wraps..I always think they will fall off right away :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly they usually fall off pretty quickly without a topcoat. I wouldn't use them for a special occasion now just in case they came off half way though the day! it would drive me mental.

      Delete
  7. I've tried nail wraps once and found them far too fiddly, and they started to look scruffy after a few hours! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what's putting me off buying a load of them! With nail polish you can just start again and still have loads left in the bottle. you are kind of screwed with nail wraps if you mess up too often :P

      Delete

Please be polite and email me with your blog links if you want me to check them out.,do not post your blog site in your comment. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Cuti-CLUE-les