08 May 2013

Jigsaw Puzzle tutorial

Hey all,


I had this design all done and dusted when I thought a tutorial might come in handy so I took it all off and started again. As always it's a pretty easy design to  do and it looks pretty striking on the nail. I'm using the new Barry M Nail art pens for this but ye can use whatever ye have to hand.


You start off by drawing 3 boxes of 3 different colours. Any 3 will do and you can do them as big or as small as you want. It really depends on the size of your nail and how difficult you want to make it yourself.


You keep adding on the boxes until you reach the top of the nail. I stopped a bit too soon here but I rectify that later on. I'm adding on a french tip to frame the nail so there is no need to cover the entire nail.


Now onto the jigsaw design. I randomly drew on a few half circles. This is to replicate the little joints that join up the pieces keeping them secure. Don't worry if they aren't perfect as it can be cleaned up later on.


Then you simple outline each piece so the puzzle shapes become more obvious. You can use your pen to fill in the half circles to match the colour of the box they are joined to. I had a bit of trouble with my black pen so the lines are not as black as I would have liked but they look fine.


Then all you have to do is freehand the tip and clean up around the nail. Remember it doesn't have to perfect sure its a small enough design. You'll hardly notice any inconsistencies when you are out and about. I added on a coat of Essence Gel look topcoat to give a nice smooth finish.


And that is all there is to it! The pens make it fairly handy to touch up any mistakes you have as you go along. This is the design I mentioned in the Barry M bonanza post HERE when the black pen stopped working for me.  


Let me know if you plan on trying out this design and what colour combinations you would go with.

Cuti-CLUE-les

14 comments:

  1. Definitely going to have to try this out! Looks amazing...just need to buy myself a nail art pen now (how do I not already own one?!) I might try it with bright colours to see if it looks good or not....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah brilliant! Delighted you're going to give it a go.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic tutorial seems much more achievable when you break it down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks miss. I know it looks so daunting sometimes! Most designs are simple but look hard. x

      Delete
  3. Great tutorial, it looks so impressive and it's not as hard as you'd think when you do it step-by-step! The little half-circle thing is a great tip, I used to try and draw every individual puzzle piece. Hopeless! Great post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks, thought it would be easier to describe with images than just rambling on :P x

      Delete
  4. I actually love this design. And the tutorial is fantastic. Would never have thought of the half circle things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks so much Marian, I'm glad it helped!

      Delete
  5. I'm crazy about puzzles, once I made a puzzle manicure, but it was simple, only 4 pieces of puzzle :-) I like the colours you used and I love the final effect! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gets a lot harder when you include more pieces :P

      Delete

Please be polite and email me with your blog links if you want me to check them out.,do not post your blog site in your comment. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Cuti-CLUE-les