11 October 2013

Getting a good, stress-free nights' sleep

Hey all,


I am a natural worrier. If I can panic, worry and build myself up over something no matter how small it may be. It's a natural thing and I can't stop it. This results in many a nights sleep being lost. It's a horrible process but it's something that I am stuck with. . Now that I know I have a problem I am trying to find natural ways to combat it. The first product that was recommended to me by a few people was the Kalms Sleep tablets, €7.95 for 50 tablets.These are herbal tablets that you take an hour or so before you go to bed in order to relax your mind and calm you down. You can take 3-4 depending on how bad you feel. I don't always have the best luck with these but 9 times out of 10 I do get  feel a lot better after taking them. My head feels clearer and I can actually settle down enough to fall asleep. They aren't too expensive and the box lasted a good while so it was a good purchase for me. I am hoping to  try a few more brands before I repurchase these but if I am stuck then I'll happily pick up a box to tide me over. 


The second pick I have for getting a good nights sleep is a bit unusual but it works for me! This is the Beauty Sleep Concentrate from Neal's Yard remedies. I have only used mini sachets of this (I had quite a few) but this normally comes in a tube. It smells nice and it doesn't leave your skin feeling sticky. The only fault I can find with this is the price. It costs a whopping €36.69 for a 30ml bottle in boots. It's is not something I could afford to purchase the second I ran out which is not good considering the reason I have to use it.

I have found that using the two of these together has the best effect. I also recommend staying away from computers, laptops, television, game consoles etc before you go to bed. I don't find drinking warm milk or drinking chocolate to be any good at putting me to sleep but everyone has different reactions so if you have trouble sleeping try it and see how it works for you. A few drops of lavender oil on my pillow can help but it's not a miracle worker.

If you have any tips for getting a good nights' sleep then let me know below. It is such a hard thing to combat and it can really stress you out leaving you exhausted all of the time. I have not found my ideal combination of sleeping aids but this is a good start for me at least.

Cuti-CLUE-les

11 comments:

  1. Great tips! Ever the scientist, I like melatonin supplements for easing me to sleep. Melatonin is the hormone which controls your sleep wake cycle, it increases as it gets dark to make you sleepy. Screens can affect this (so your too above is very good). I've found it hard to get melatonin supplements in health shops here, but found it online on ie.biovea.com. It really works. Took mine 20 mins ago and not sure if I can keep my eyes open to finish this comm... Zzzzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I like the scientist ideas!! Anything that can help is always worth a try especially when you put it like that. Thanks so much for the comment Kat! x

      Delete
  2. I find a soothing bath can really help me go to sleep, and milky drinks too but as you said they don't work for you. The Tesco sleep aid stuff is meant to be really good. If you do find it keeps getting worse it might be worth going to your doctor to see if they can help? I know you want to try and keep it natural but at some point it's worth it for a good night's sleep! Hope you're alright lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mali! I didn't know Tesco had stuff out for sleeping. I have to go in and see what's on offer. I know what you mean. I'm not at the stage where I have to go for an appointment (thankfully) but it's always an option x

      Delete
  3. Very interesting! :-) You can change the lighting on your computer so that it's not stimulating before you go to bed, with this program: http://justgetflux.com/. I use earplugs and Melatonin. But to make the brain relax, I've heard that mindfullness exercises can work. I think it's impossible not to start thinking at all during an exercise, but if that happens, just try to focus on the exercise again. My only advice to stop thinking about difficult things, is to talk to a friend who understands, and to do something nice before you go to bed, like: watch something fun or entertaining, a comedy series, or YouTube video that makes you laugh. If you laugh, the stress hormones in the blood will decrease, if I remember correctly. But I agree with maliberry, about going to a doctor. Not nessesarily to get pills, but maybe he can find a good psychologist, or psychomotoric physiotherapist. Sleeping is important. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great comment Lani, thank you so so much! I'm going to try all of that out and hopefully it'll make a difference.

      Delete
  4. Oh god, I'm such a worrier too, always stressing myself out and getting worked up over nothing, anxiety sucks! I'm the exact same trouble sleeping etc.. it's always when I'm trying to get a good nights sleep that my brain suddenly decides to engage in a flurry of activity at the most inappropriate of times. I haven't tried Kalms before, will definitely keep them in mind though. The Neals Yard cream sounds good too - definitely one to try out at some stage. Is it like a moisturiser or a serum? Unfortunately, I haven't found any wonder cures yet, but I love curling up in the bed with a good book, that really helps to de-stress me. I see you're a fan of Terry Pratchett - would you believe it, I have all the Discworld series but I haven't even started on any of them yet. D'oh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Years ago I read that the combination of warm milk and cookies worked. I can't remember why, but it was something about the cereals of the cookies reacting with the hot milk. Sorry I can't remember more for being more accurate, but I hope it helps you for googling a bit.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tips. I have trouble sleeping at times, but haven't tried anything herbal like Kalms. I glad this seems to help you out a bit :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does! I lose my mind if I can't sleep and I haven't got something around to help. The whole day is wasted them because I'm exhausted

      Delete

Please be polite and email me with your blog links if you want me to check them out.,do not post your blog site in your comment. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Cuti-CLUE-les