31 July 2014

The Book Look: Look back in hunger by Jo Brand nail art and Book review!

Hey all,

This weeks review is of Jo Brand's autobiography "Look back in hunger". The book was released in 2010 and it is 340 pages long. You can buy it from the Book Depository for €9.06 and Easons for €6.99 (ebook).


I rarely buy autobiographies but when I do I generally go for ones written by comedians. I don't like dreary "woe it me" tales. Jo Brand isn't one of my favourite comedians but I managed to get "Look back in Hunger" for €2 so I thought I'd give it a go. I am delighted I did because it is one of the best books I've read so far this year. Brand is incredibly funny. I rarely laugh out loud when I read a book but this really made me laugh. I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did. 

The book is full of some very witty stories but also a few very moving ones. Her life hasn't been all rainbows and unicorns and I really admire her for including some of the crappier events that she has experienced. What's unique about her is that she doesn't write them looking for pity. A story is a story. That's not to say you don't feel for her, you really do. 
I really appreciate that she included pictures at little intervals in the book. I think that it breaks the book up nicely and you can put a face to a name. I think you relate more to a person when you can see little snapshots of their life.

I did think the end of the book was way too abrupt. I honestly thought that some of the pages had been ripped out and that I was missing out. Other than that it was a great book. It goes right up until she starts to really get into the showbiz scene so you get to hear more about her early life including her school days, college life, her relationships and her time working as a psychiatric nurse. It's funny how you assume that all comedians just went straight into showbiz but Brand had such a different life before she took to the stage.

Overall I'd give it 4 out of 5.  I really enjoyed this book. Jo Brand has some very interesting stories and she tells them very well. She's funny and she doesn't take life too seriously. Even if you are not a fan of her stand-up routine don't discount this book it's well worth a read. I will definitely buy the second part of this book which I just heard about thanks to google. Hopefully it's as good as this book was.


Now one thing that did not turn out as well as the book is the nails I did to go with it!


The cover of Look Back in hunger isn't great for nail art and the pictures found within are generally in black and white or have no outstanding designs that I could recreate. I decided to go with flower nails based on the earrings Jo is wearing on the cover. They didn't turn out the best and I'm kind of sad about that but hopefully ye won't judge the book based on my feeble nail art attempt.


I have on 2 coats of Catrice Acid/dc, a shimmery lime green. For the flowers I used Barry m Gelly hi shine in Dragon fruit and 17 Sweet Kisses. The leaves are made up of Catrice Sold out forever and NYC expert last in 267 Picnic on the Lawn. I used the matte topper from Essence called Soft touch.

 Cuti-CLUE-les

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite and email me with your blog links if you want me to check them out.,do not post your blog site in your comment. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Cuti-CLUE-les