24 July 2014

The Book Look: Sushi for Beginners by Marian Keyes nail art and book review!

Hey all,

The Book Look for this week is Sushi for beginners by Marian Keyes. It is quite a lengthy book at 564 pages and it was released in 2001. I've had my copy for a good few years now but you can buy new from the Book Depository for €8.83 or at TheBookShop.ie for €2 second hand.


Sushi for beginners focuses on the lives of 3 women, all from different backgrounds with different goals, and their struggles to come to terms with the changes in their lives. Lisa is a magazine editor with a bad attitude.  She does not take her relocation to Dublin, to set up Colleen magazine, very well and pretty much moans constantly throughout the book.Calling her self-centered is an understatement. Needless to say I didn't enjoy her character at all. 
Lisa's new assistant is the hapless Ashling. The author really tries to make you feel for her but I couldn't gel with her at all. She makes a heap of very stupid decisions and has a "pity me" attitude. Her "relationship" is a farce but still she goes along with it and convinces herself that she's in love when not 2 minutes beforehand she hated him. It's painful reading at times and you'd love to slap some sense into her. At times you would feel like she deserved what she got. She plays the innocent victim when she wasn't entirely honest from the start. 
Last but not least we are introduced to Clodagh, long time friend of Ashling who has it all. A nice house, a caring husband and 2 kids. Of course she's not happy with any of this and decides to look elsewhere to inject some fun into her life. She's the classic Bitch character and you can guess that it doesn't bode well for her perfect family life. 

Although the story is focused on the lives of the 3 women, the only character I enjoyed reading about in the entire 564 page book was the homeless boy named Boo. Unfortunately his story isn't really expanded upon. I think this is an awful shame and I would have preferred it if the author had at least gone into his life a bit more. I thought he would have played a bigger role as the story went on but it never really went anywhere. 
As the magazine's release date gets closer, the lives of the 3 women get even more hectic and complicated. The book can be a bit slow at times but it's a fairly easy read. The story is pretty simple to follow so if you are looking for a light bit of reading this will suit you just fine.

Overall I would give Sushi for Beginners 3 out of 5. The story was slightly predictable and the characters weren't my cup of tea. I do like Marian Keyes' style and I have another book waiting by her (Watermelon in case ye are interested) so I'll definitely give her books another go.


I kept the nail look pretty close to the design on the cover. Here I have on Barry m Pink Flamingo. I believe this was 3 coats. Then using a sponge I added on OPI Kiss me I'm Brazillian on top. For the accent nail I have Pink Flamingo as a base and I used some plain white polish for the chopsticks.  I added on a clear topcoat as the finish was fairly dull on its own.


 Cuti-CLUE-les

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite and email me with your blog links if you want me to check them out.,do not post your blog site in your comment. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Cuti-CLUE-les