11 August 2015

Book-Tube-A-Thon 2015-:The Results

Hey all

Book-Tube-A-Thon is over and I have to say it FLEW by. I thought I would do a follow up on my original post showing the results of the challenge and a brief look at what I thought of the books I managed to finish. I think a week is a decent amount of time to get a few books finished without putting too much pressure on yourself. I didn't push myself too hard as I wanted to enjoy the books but I managed to finish 6 out of the 7 challenges. I'm pretty pleased with that!


1// Read a book with blue on the cover

Sadly I didn't get around to this book. I had time to start it but I'd have no chance of getting through it before the deadline so I decided to save it for another day. I've been wanting to read this for ages so I don't want to rush read it and spoil it.




2// Read a book by an author who shares the same first letter of your last name 

This is the first book I finished. It was a nice easy read, there was no real jaw-dropping moment and a lot of the drama was thrown in just to spice it up. It was grand! The characters are ok, typical "woman's life falls apart, moves, falls in love with 2 strangers, happy ending" kind of story. It didn't wow me but I'm not sorry that I read it if you know what I mean. I don't think I'll be picking up any more books from this author right away (unless I get them for a crazy good price)

Rating: 6/10



3// Read someone else's favourite book
One of the most hyped books this year and it was shite. The characters are all damaged. The women are weak, broken and gullible. The men are deranged, controlling and dominant. The book only started to get interesting 3/4 of the way through. The ending was good, better than the rest of the book but it wasn't amazing by any means. The author tried way too hard to get you double-guessing the killer and you could pretty much guess what was going on after a few chapters. I doubt I would have bothered finishing this if it was for the challenge. I don't know why this is classed as a thriller/mystery. One positive thing about the book is the style it is written in. It can get confusing at times and you have to double check whose chapter it is but it's interesting.
                                  Rating: 3/10


4// Read the last book you acquired 
Yes! I am delighted I picked this up. I really enjoyed this book. As it's one of a series it was pretty jam packed with information and the story seemed to start of running. You were plunged into the world right from the get go. The main character,  Stephanie, is grand but the shining star of this book is easily Skulduggery Pleasant himself. Full of sarcastic remarks and jibes I could not get enough of him. I know you really need Stephanie in the book for Skulduggery's wit to shine through but I could honestly get by with just the skeleton himself.  The story itself is good but honestly I'm more interested in the back and forth between Skulduggery and the other characters. Well worth a read.

Rating: 7/ 10

5// Finish a book without letting go of it
Now I cheated on this one I have to admit. I read the book online so technically I didn't let go of it seeing as I didn't pic it up in the first place! I did read it all in one sitting though so it still counts as a win in my books.
I don't really see why it's so popular but  it was a nice quick read. I found that Neil Gaiman is really 50/50 for me. Either I love the book or I'm glad to see the end of it. This was inbetween. I'm glad I read it but it didn't really do anything for me.

Rating: 6/10

6// Read a book you really want to read
Now this was a disappointment. The only thing I like about this book is the cover. The characters are bland and unlike-able, I couldn't relate to any of them or understand why seemingly intelligent people would do such stupid things. As far as the story goes, it was uneventful despite a lot of things happening (yes that sounds contradictory but give me a second). Even though the author threw in a lot of "mysteries" (none of which you'll actually care about) it did nothing to pique your interest. She tried to get you on an emotional rollercoaster but really it was like driving over a couple of pebbles on the road. You could see them there but it didn't affect your experience of the story in any way.

Rating: 5/10


7// Read seven books
Well I didn't complete this challenge but I did read the book and it has blue on the cover so it took the place of Dragons at Crumbling castle.
I have read this book before and I still loved reading it. This is the first proper appearance of the Watch and Commander Vimes. Reading it again just confirmed the fact that he is one of the best characters in the Discworld. Such a clever book! It was packed full of characters, side-stories  and humour. As much as I enjoyed the books the first time around I am honestly getting the full impact of them the second time around.
Rating: 8/10


So that's it for Book-Tube-A-Thon 2015. It was one of the best things I have done this year so far! I loved it and I'm really surprised I manged to get 6 of the books read. I picked long books but ones I wanted to read so it was as enjoyable as possible. Once you get sucked in to a book you'll fly through it whether it has 50 pages or 500 pages. I'm not sure if Sharon, Breige or Paula are writing up a post but I'll have them linked so you can check them out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite and email me with your blog links if you want me to check them out.,do not post your blog site in your comment. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Cuti-CLUE-les