08 December 2015

SOSU Christmas release- swatches and review

Hey all

**Product was provided for my honest review**

Today I have the 3 SOSU Christmas release polishes to show ye. These are marketed as gel like polishes that do not require a lamp (like the Sally Hansen Miracle Gels and the Essence the gel nail polishes) They say you apply these "in one easy action" which I assume means in one coat but that's not true in my experience. I have mixed feelings on the collection as a whole but lets get on to the swatches.

**ETA**  These are not Gel polishes. They are regular polishes. If you compare them to the Essence the gel nail polishes or the Sally Hansen Miracle Gel you will see a massive difference. They don't dry with a glossy finish. They all need a couple of coats and you won't get more than a couple of days of wear before they chip, just like a regular old polish. So don't buy them thinking you will get a Salon like result because that's not going to happen. The gel name is misleading.

Poison Apple


Not a very festive name but one of the prettiest Christmas-y polishes I own. Poison Apple is a beautiful Christmas tree green with a strong golden shimmer running through it. I love this one. It's basically China Glaze Glittering Garland but it's a tiny bit lighter in colour and the shimmer is more apparent in Poison Apple. If you have Glittering Garland you might not want to pick this up. 

I have on 2 coats without a top or base coat. I  would recommend wearing a basecoat with this one. Green polishes can stain pretty badly so you're better off using one just in case. Poison Apple has a great formula, opaque in 2 coats and the shimmer is really noticeable on the nail. 


Rudolph's Mistress


A more festive name (although a bit of a weird one!) Rudolph's Mistress is a red glitter in a red tinted jelly base. I was slightly disappointed with this one initially as I thought it would be a full on glitter like Barry m Red Glitter. I tried to wear this on its own but I didn't like it. I would need a good 3-4 coats and it just didn't pop on my nails.

 I layered 2 coats of Rudolph's Mistress over one coat of Sally Hansen Patent Gloss in Moto and it looks amazing. I much prefer it as a layering polish. It actually sparkles on the nail (far more than it shows in the pictures) and it looks beautiful. It definitely needs a topcoat just to add a shine to it but it is still a good polish. It has a good bit of glitter in there so there is no hassle applying it especially if you layer it over an opaque red.


Silver Lining


Not a very festive name at all, Silver Lining is a basic silver foil. It reflects a tiny bit but it's pretty shimmery so it has a bit of sparkle, especially in the sun. The formula is a bit dodgy for me. I tried it out a few times and you'd need to go with thicker coats to get this opaque in 2-3 coats. If you do thin coats you'll need at last 4 especially if you have longer nails or a visible nail line. It's also a bit runny so you'd want to be careful applying this so you don't have  a lot of clean up to do afterwards.

I have 3 coats on in the picture, no base or topcoat. It's a pretty standard colour that you'd probably use a lot around this time of year but not much during the rest of the year. Out of the 3 this is the one I'd skip.


The dry time on all of these is pretty good. They took a couple of minutes and I had no trouble with dragging or streaking. They have a wide brush like the Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure and Miracle Gel polishes.

SOSU Quick Dry topcoat-Wear test

I ended up doing a wear test using Poison Apple along with the SOSU Quick Dry topcoat to see how it faired out. I used one coat of Essence Studio Nails Triple Care as my base, 2 coats of Poison Apple and one coat of the Quick Dry topcoat. The topcoat dries pretty quickly with a decent shine but it wouldn't take over from the Essence the gel nail polish Topcoat for me. That has a far better shine to it, it's more affordable and it's thicker (in a good way) so it covers any lumps and bumps nicely in one coat. The SOSU topcoat is thinner and a bit runny. I don't think it would work all that well over a glitter unless you used a couple of coats.

After a day I noticed tiny chips on a couple of my nails but they were minuscule so you wouldn't notice them unless you were scrutinizing your nails like I was. By day 5 I had chips on the sides of a few nails so I took it off. I don't think it would have lasted more than that. Once they started chipping it was really easy to chip more and more off. They are on the more expensive side at €7.99 a bottle so if you were inclined to get one I'd go for the more unique colours. Bare in mind that everyone is different and I have read some reviews that claim the polish chipped on them within a couple of hours so read around and see which polishes have the best reviews. I can't say how well the other 2 wear as I haven't worn Silver Lining for long and you have to layer Rudolph's Mistress so that wouldn't be a true test of that polish. If you are looking a nice Christmas Green then I would keep Poison Apple in mind, it really is pretty.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite and email me with your blog links if you want me to check them out.,do not post your blog site in your comment. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Cuti-CLUE-les